Wednesday 27 August 2014

Slim pickings - the August charity shop bargain round-up

I'm posting this early as I am determined not to buy anything else until September.  Who knows, maybe by that time I'll be too busy sorting out my new house!

Trying to buy very little is mildly annoying when I've been used to having whatever I fancy as long as it meets my budget.  However, now the house is sold, and I am madly throwing out things I no longer need, or will need in the future, I have to show restraint.  At first it was quite difficult, deciding what to part with, but now I think, oh, what the heck, just get rid and wipe the slate clean!  We are moving from a high ceiling Victorian terrace to a low ceiling detached cottage in a village, with no loft space, so getting rid of stuff is necessary.  Most of my furniture and belongings were bought or sourced (cheaply or just free!) to fit into a high ceiling house so will just not go in our new cottage.

I actually managed to fill two cardboard boxes with knick nacks that were adorning the shelves in the kitchen.  When it was all gone I was unable to spot the difference, there was still stuff on the shelves, just not as much, so I could see the bits and pieces I still had.  

It does make you think about what you actually need in your life.  I vaguely remember a programme a few years ago where they analysed life at the turn of the 20th century, comparing it to life at the start of the 21st century .  The average person back then had 200 possessions, sounds a lot?   Mmm, not if you think it included furniture, linen and kitchenware, all clothing and footwear, toiletries, the odd book, maybe a couple of pencils and a pen, hairgrips and possibly an item of jewellery!  I think I have over 200 cooking implements alone, and don't even think about looking in my shoe cupboard and glove/scarf storage area, eek!  Apparently, nowadays we average around 20,000 possessions each, I can agree with that!

Anyway, aside from that food for thought, I have purchased some bargains this month. Although the weather here has taken a sudden Autumnal dip, I did manage to steer clear of jumpers, as I have too many, and jackets, although all the lovely wintery things do appeal to me, I love snuggly clothes.

A local charity shop is still getting rid of stock for £1 or less and I managed to grab this delightful bias cut and embroidered Laura Ashley white linen fully lined skirt for £1, woohoo!



The next whoop was for this gorgeous Coccinelle pink and brown leather handbag, found in the reduced basket of my local animal rescue charity shop, also a pound.



Next, literally, something I have been after for an absolute age, a cute short denim skirt from Next, which fits both my hips and my waist, hurrah!  Another pound from the closing down shop.



Couldn't resist this silk and rayon mix devore scarf for just 50p from the same shop, amazingly my only impulse buy of the month.



There we are, a total spend of £3.50, aren't I a good girl!! 

7 comments:

  1. Hi there!! Great finds and I adore the Devore scarf it's gorgeous!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been downsizing too, and find it both difficult and cleansing. Your new treasures are lovely, and the price was right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That scarf is just gorgeous - I love it. Good luck with the move - sounds like you're doing well on the decluttering front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are indeed a good girl - some lovely things for rock bottom prices, that's the way to do it!
    Your comment about clearing loads of stuff off the shelves and not even noticing is hitting home with me... I think I could easily do the same. Good news on the house sale and cottage move, hope it all goes smoothly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the decluttering, its so cathartic. That scarf is really pretty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed this post cos I'm trying to curb my spending at the min too. I'm terrible for buying unnecessary makeup, clothes, bags, jewellery, kitchen utensils etc and half of it gets worn once or shoved to the back of a drawer having never even been used. The white Laura Ashley skirt you picked up is absolutely gorgeous and I think it would've been a crime not to buy it at that price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We moved from a four bed family home to a small bungalow, having two rentals in between as we moved towns made decluttering easy, well, easier! Now I have to really think where something is going to go because of no space and if something isn't used it has to wing its way to the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. I'd love it if you left a comment too!